My Photo
Name:
Location: Gambia

Friday, September 29, 2006

Kambiya!

Hi All!
Made it! I have arrived in the hustle and bustle of Banjul, The Gambia amoungst the crowd of 24 other Peace Corps Volunteers that are in my program. The flight was great, the easiest one yet, slept most of the way and woke up to us flying over the Sahara. A beautiful and endless mass of sand stretching out across the horizon. We've been in Gambia for a solid day now and its been very hot and humid. Hotter than I thought and I'm very happy that I brought so many light clothes. We've spent our first real day getting interviewed by the bosses and beginning our training in language. The language training is so much fun! Lots of good phrases that are sending my tongue and lips in directions that they never thought they could. Its really exciting and our Gambian teachers are great, full of smiles and happy to meet people. Were spending about a week in the greater Banjul area getting orientated to the country and then off to Tendaba Camp where we will partake in our next round of training. The line up of things they have for us looks really good, field trips to stone circles, croccadile parks, and other such locales. We're finding out tomorrow what language we will be speaking so I'll be either speaking Wolof or Mandinka I think. I hope all of you are well and enjoying life! Lots of Love from this end!
-N

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

Nick,

I just came across your journal about your adventures in The Gambia. I added a link to your page to a database I collected of Peace Corps Journals and blogs:

Worldwide Peace Corps Blog Directory:
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Thanks for volunteering with the Peace Corps!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia (’03-’05)
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home